Monday, July 29, 2013

Wah How to use "Should"

Should is a modal auxiliary verb. It is used to express the speaker’s opinion at the moment of speaking

Affirmative           
  • I should go.
  • He should go.
Negative
  • shouldn't go.
  • He shouldn't go.
Interrogative
  • *Should I go?
  • Should he go?

*Questions with Should I / we …?  are unusual.We usually say..
Do you think I / we should …?

A typical mistake in the use of should is using to before the verb.
This is never done. I should to go  is incorrect.

We use should to give advice. Don't confuse should with must.

We use must to indicate obligation
  • You must go to school now if you don't want to be late.
We use should to give our opinion
  • You should talk to your mother about you problems.
We can use really to add emphasis
  • You really should spend more time with your family.

Note: Should, like Ought, is a modal verb.

No comments:

Post a Comment