Friday, December 27, 2013

Wah How to use Count on + Gerund / Noun

We can use Count on + Gerund / Noun to talk about something that you hope or expect to happen, or something you had planned about it.

  • I counted on finding towels in my hotel room. (But I hadn't found it.)
  • I was counting on being paid today. 
  • I was counting on finding a good restaurant in this neighborhood.
  • We're counting on about 50 people coming to the party.


When we use Not + Count on + Gerund / Noun to talk about something unexpected or something you hadn't planned about it.

  • I never counted on having the camel meat for dinner. (I hadn't expected to have the camel meat for dinner.)
  • The bad climate was something we hadn't counted on.
  • I didn't count on the prices being so high.
  • She hadn't counted on it raining.


We can use this form after can to talk about the reliability.

  • I think you can count on him. (You can trust him.)
  • You can't count on the weather in Bangkok. (The weather is not reliable)
  • You can count on traveling in Tokyo. (I am sure, you would have a great time there.)

Counting on standing in line - WahWasabiLearningEnglishGrammar
I weren't counting on having to stand in line for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment