Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wah How to use "Had better"

You can use had better or had better not to give suggestion or advice to someone.

Had better + verb
I had better go now. I had better to go now is incorrect.

1. Had better is similar to should but we use had better for giving strong advice which is quite serious if you do not follow it.
    You had better study hard for this examination. 
    (You should study hard for this examination.)
    You’d better go to bed right now if you don’t want to be drowsy tomorrow.    
    (You ought to go to bed right now)

2. You can also use had better when you think it is a good idea to do something.
    You’d better not to be late in English class. 
    (It’s not a good idea to be late.)
    The traffic is very bad today; we’d better go to the Wasabi Park by train.
    Hadn't we better be at the Central Park now, John have been waiting for us. 


3. Had better can also be use to make a threat!
    You’d better give me all your money!
    You’d better stay away from me otherwise there will be a trouble!
           
4. You can use had better to answer the question.
     A: I will stop smoking.
     B: You’d better!
     A: I won’t forget your birthday.
     B: You’d better not! 

"If you've anything to tell me
It had better be tonight
Or somebody else may tell me
And whisper the words just right.."  - 
It Had Better Be Tonight 

No comments:

Post a Comment