Friday, August 2, 2013

Wah How to use "Rather than" and "Would rather"

Rather than is used for expressing preference. It is similar to instead of

We use noun and gerunds after rather than, for example: 

            Rather than going to the cinema, how about the theater? 
            She wants to study architecture rather than history of art.

I would rather (I’d rather) means I would prefer. (But they are a bit different in some uses that we will tell you later.)

We use a simple verb after I would rather, for example:

            He would rather to cut off his arm than surrender.
            (He’d prefer to cut off his arm than surrender)
  
            I’d rather have tea than coffee for breakfast.
           (I’d prefer to have tea than coffee for breakfast.)

            Would you rather study at home or in a school?
           (Would you prefer to study at home or in a school?)


Taylor Swift sings.. “The battle's in your hands now. But I would lay my armor down If you said you'd rather love than fight…”

No comments:

Post a Comment