Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Wah How to use "No Sooner Than"

We use No Sooner Than to talk about event or action that immediately happened after another one. 
We usually use this form in formal and in written English.

No Sooner + Past Perfect + Than + Past Simple

    No sooner had I come in the office, than the phone rang. 
    = I had no sooner come in the office, than the phone rang. 
    = As soon as I came in the office, the phone rang.  

Note: Just be careful with the word order. we use inverted word order when no sooner comes at the beginning of a sentence. No sooner had I come. No sooner I had come. is incorrect

  • No sooner had Sarah gone out, than James came in.                                                    = As soon as Sarah went out, James came in.  
  • No sooner had they eaten that food, than they started feeling terrible.                            = As soon as they ate that food, they started feeling terrible.  
  • No sooner had the children come in, than they made a very loud noise. 
  • No sooner had I left the house, than it began to rain hard.
  • No sooner had she heard the news, than she began to cry.
  • No sooner had I got the letter, than I tore it in two.
  • No sooner had George arrived in Kyoto, than he felt ill.

NoSoonerThan-WahWasabiLearningEnglishGrammar
No sooner had I looked at her, than she smiled at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment