Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Wah How to use second conditional.

We know how to use first conditional in Wah How to use first conditional.Today we will learn about second conditional.

1. We use second conditional when we talk about actions in the future that are probably not going to be true or are unlikely to happen.
We use If + past simple tense to talk about the future condition. 
We use would + verb to talk about the future result. 
    If I won the lottery, I would go to Maldives. (You are unlikely to win the lottery.)
    If I married Michael, I would be happy. 
    If she met Johnny Depp, she would hug him.
    If It snowed in Malaysia, What would you do?

Second conditional sentences are normally reversible.
    I would go to Maldives if I won the lottery.  
    I would be happy if I married Michael. 
    She would hug Johnny Depp if she met him.
    What would you do if It snowed in Malaysia?

2. We use second conditional when we talk about something in the present that is impossible.
    If I were* a doctor, I would be rich and happy (But you are not a doctor.)
    If I were you, I would forgive my husband.
    If I had her phone number, I would call him.
    If I can speak English fluently, I would not need to study it anymore.

Note: We usually use were in formal English, even when the subject is I,he,she,it
           But in informal English was is acceptable with these subjects. 

We can use could instead of would when we want to indicate the possibility of doing something. (whereas would indicates the certainty of doing something.)
    If I won the lottery, I could travel around the world. (It would be possible.)
    If I won the lottery, I would travel around the world. (I would certainly do it.)

Won the lottery - WahWasabiLearningEnglishGrammar
If I had enough money, I would stop working.

No comments:

Post a Comment