Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Wah How to use reported speech

We use reported speech ( indirect speech ) to indicate what someone has said without repeating their exact words.

  Direct speech : I play football every day.

  Reported speech : He said (that) he played football every day.

Direct speech :  I brought a new mobile phone last week.
Reported speech : She said (that) she had brought a new mobile phone the week before.
  
  Direct speech :  I will go to the movies with them tomorrow.
  Reported speech : She said (that) she would go to the movies with them the next day.

Direct speech :  We are going to live in Tokyo next week.
Reported speech : They said (that) they was going to live in Tokyo the following week.
  
  Direct speech : I am thinking about it.
  Reported speech : He said (that) he was thinking about it.

Direct speech :  We have not seen you for a long time.
Reported speech : They said (that) they had not seen me for a long time. 
  
  Direct speech : I had heard nothing of it until ten minutes ago.
  Reported speech : He said (that) he had heard nothing of it until ten minutes before

Direct speech : I can't hear anything.
Reported speech : She said (that) she couldn't hear anything.
  
  Direct speech : I may go to India soon.
  Reported speech : He said (that) he might go to India in the near future

Direct speech : I must go to work today.
Reported speech : she said (that) she had to go to work that day.


ToldMe-WahWasabiLearningEnglishGrammar
She said that she liked that attractive guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment