Monday, January 6, 2014

Wah How to use "Be able to"

We use be able to talk about ability. 
We sometimes use it instead of can and could.

  • I cannot visit my parents. = I am not able to visit my parents.

We can use be able to in many different forms.

Future Tense

  • Tomorrow, he will be able to join our party.  Tomorrow, he will can join our party.  is incorrect.
  • Will you be able to go to the park with me next week?
  • I am afraid I won't be able to go with you.

Present Perfect Tense

  • Simon has been always able to remember his students' name.  Simon has been always can remember his students' name.  is incorrect.
  • I have never been able to swim.

Past Tense

  • I was able to solve the question this morning. (= I could solve the question this morning.)
  • I was able to explain to her.

Infinitive Forms

  • John is going to be able to help me.
  • You have to be able to speak English if you want to get this job.
  • You must be able to understand it. It's very important.

Be able to play the piano-WahWasabiLearningEnglishGrammar
I would like to be able to play the piano. 

No comments:

Post a Comment