Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Wah How to use "Make and Let"

1. We use Make to force someone to do something. They have to do it even though they don't want to do.

Make - Wah_Wasabi_Learning_English_Grammar

My mother make me tidy up my room. My mother make me to tidy up my room. is incorrect.
He doesn't make me love him but I love him by myself.
Susan makes students listen to her. 
Rainy days make me feel depressed.

We can also use Make + Someone + Adjective
You make me happy.
Please make yourself comfortable.
Rainy days make me depressed.

2. We use Let to give permission or allow someone to do something. They may do it whether they want to do or not.

Let - Wah_Wasabi_Learning_English_Grammar

She never lets her children watch TV. She never lets her children to watch TV. is incorrect.
I am sorry I am late, my boss didn't let me leave the office until 8 p.m.
When can you let me know the answer?
Could you let me go to the movies tonight? 

You may know Let's which is an abbreviation of Let us.
We usually use Let's + Infinitive to make a suggestion
Let's go to the Japanese restaurant tonight. (What about going to the Japanese restaurant tonight.)
Let's visit Wah Wasabi Website to learn English grammar rules.

You can use other ways to make a suggestion in this topic:
Wah How to use "What about...?"

Let's see these sentences:
My boss didn't let me leave the office until 8 p.m.  
= My boss made me stay at the office until 8 p.m.
My mother lets me go to the concert tonight.        
= My mother doesn't make me stay at home. 

"Let me love you, oh baby let me love you, oh baby..." from Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You.

No comments:

Post a Comment