Friday, September 6, 2013

Wah How to use "What about...?"

What about - Wah_Wasabi_Learning_English_Grammar

1. We can use What about to suggest someone to do something.   
    I don't want to go to the library, what about going to the movies? (Let's go to the movies.)
    Rather than waiting here, what about going around? (It's better to go around.)
    I don't feel like working now, what about going shopping instead?
    I am on diet, what about having fruit salad for dinner?

You also use How about. They have the same meaning in making suggestion.

    How about coming with us? (Shall you come with us?)
    Rather than going to the cinema, how about the theater? 
    The traffic is very bad, how about getting there for a walk?
    Your brother is mad at you, how about apologizing your brother?

2. You can use How about you? and What about you? to ask the same question back to the other person.
    Q: How are you today?
    A: I am very well. How about you?

    Q: Where do you work?

    A: I work at home.What about you?

3. We use What about to ask about objects or places or something.
    What about your new job? (How is your new job.) 
    What about your food?
    What about your holiday?

Note: We don't usually say How about your new job? but How is your new job?

"What about love? What about our promises?

What about love?
You take it all and leave me nothing
What about love? What about us to the end?
What about love?
You cut my wings, now I am falling 
What about love?..." from What About Love - Austin Mahone 

No comments:

Post a Comment