Thursday, October 31, 2013

Wah How to use "A While".

A while = A short time.
So if we say "I will be there in a while", it means "I will be there in a short time".

The opposite of a while would be a long time.

We can use a short while to emphasize the short period of time.

  • It is impossible to master English in a while. (It is impossible to master English in a short time.)
  • The system will go into operation in a short while. (The system will go into operation in a short time.)
  • I'll wait here for a while. (I'll wait here for a short time.)
  • Would you mind if I watch TV for a while?
  • Let's sit here for a while and look at the view.
  • Please stay out of my way for a short while.  
  • This machine is out of order for a short while.
  • Leave me alone for a short while. It's none of your business.

But Once in a while means sometimes, rarely, infrequently.

  • They go to the movies together once in a while. (They sometimes go to the movies together.)
  • He writes a letter once in a while but not so often.
  • Father and I go fishing once in a while.
  • My husband comes to see me once in a while.
IWillBeAlrightInAShortWhile-WahWasabiLearningEnglishGrammar
I will be alright in a short while.

No comments:

Post a Comment